Monday, 26 November 2012


P.S. I just read this post on selling art work and thought it was timely for my situation but also probably just interesting for anyone in a similar position; worth a read!

when-to-start-selling-your.art by Whitney Smith

Catch Up!!!!!!!

Okayyyy..where have five months gone exactly?! I knew I'd been a little late in posting but seriously?!  I guess my main excuse is summer and moving house - all done now and we're officially heading out of Autumn into Winter here in Italy now.   Once my son started back at scuola I decided that rather than blog about the lack of printing I'd managed to do over Summer, I might as well get on with actually doing some thus creating something to blog about!!

Mainly I've been working on some letters or initials - the idea being they could be used as cards for a birthday or maybe a newborn/Christening/ baby-naming type scenario.  I'd like to experiment making some banners with them too.   They've taken a while to produce; I chose a circus style font as I think it works well from a distance and is neither too feminine nor overtly masculine.



The green stuff I've been carving is called Adigraf and is a super-soft (and pretty tricky) Italian type of "lino" - I use the quotation marks as I don't want to mislead anyone: this stuff will drive you crazy if you expect the same resistance form lino, even compared to Soft-Cut!!  I thought i'd better try and find a local source (as it's illogical to have lino sent half-way across Europe, plus the postage charges from the UK from my previous supplier went up by 100%!!) but I'm not convinced and have had to get guests to bring some Soft-Cut over for me for other printing projects recently: still, it seems to work for this purpose!

I've also opened a little Etsy shop  http://www.etsy.com/shop/storno which currently stocks these cards and some Christmas cards too which I will try to blog about soon.  So, in keeping with my new chicken-and.the-egg theory, I'd better get back to work now so I have things to blog about right?!

Tuesday, 26 June 2012


In addition ( i know - calm down! two posts in a day!!) I have been exploring the Islamic patterns I loved so much about 4 years ago when I visited Marrakesh - well worth exploring in terms of new fabric patterns I think.   In fact, the second one isn't so Islamic but it shares some of the beautiful crisp nature so I thought they'd work well together.   Both have been made using cheap foam as opposed to lino - it seems particularly well-suited to rapid results and strong lines - something lino isn't naturally given to reproducing well.


The "harvest" is in!! Can six peaches qualify as a harvest? Of course they can!  In celebration I bought (a-hem) some other local peaches - 'Saturno', they're called, I guess because they look like little planets.   I have re-worked the linocut from the other day to make it clearer and then I also made a little watercolour specifically to pick out some of the blue-ish red that characterises the peach skin. 







Friday, 22 June 2012

Earlier in the year I took a few pictures of our little peach tree in bloom - real purdy, I'm sure you'll agree:





And now the tree has miraculously (or at least so it seems to me!) produced peaches - so I've tried to catch some of this brilliance in a new lino cut - I've included here a couple of images of how and where I've been working today; I can only feel truly fortunate to have such a beautiful location (if not quite enough the space!) to work in.  I think I'll re-work the print as i took too much away but it's been a while since I developed something purely as a print, as opposed to with fabric in mind.






Tuesday, 19 June 2012

As an aside from my usual printing gubbins, here's a little photo-essay recording Mo (my son's) daily journey to school - we're moving house over the summer so I wanted to record this little commute.






I've also picked out some of the things I've seen along the way that have helped inspire my initial printing - sometimes it's form, sometimes colour, sometimes contrast.















Tuesday, 12 June 2012

So - epic fail on my photography mission last weekend - namely in that I forgot the memory card for the camera...

In the meantime I've been working on some prints, cleaning up the "bosses" (if that's the right word), perfecting the backing/glue to fix them to, as well as continuing to learn about print registry/pressure/ink...the list goes on.  Here's a sample of work in progress;




I particularly like the mis-matched tangerine/raspberry in this chevron - entirely deliberate - not!  A happy accident at least.


I also decided to run some of the same through my press - initially so i can embellish one of them (the wysteria design) with a vine or some leaves around it) - but actually I quite like the outcome of the koi - I think it works nicely with the water lily and the circles, although both might be over-kill!